You may have had Roat at least once in your life, specially if you are in India, Pakistan, Africa, etc. Roat is quite a popular snack made specially on the occasion of Muharram and also as Prasad (religious offerings) in several places.
Roat is often coupled with Malida, another tradition dish made by thickly powdering the Roat.
Here is an easy peasy, quick and tasty recipe of Roat.
- 1/2kg of all purpose flour APF (maida).
- 1 cup whole wheat flour WWF (atta).1 cup plain roasted peanuts.
- 1/2 cup mixed dry fruits (cashew, almonds).
- 1/3rd cup sesame seeds.
- 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar, divided.
- 1 cup refined oil.
- Pinch of salt.
- In a big mixing bowl mix together APF, WWF, half of the total sugar, salt.
- In a grinder jar add the rest of the sugar and grind into a powder.
- Add the roasted peanuts to the ground sugar jar and pulse twice, we want chunky peanuts.
- Add the grinder content to the mixing bowl and mix everything well.
- Gradually add the oil until the mixture holds together when formed in to balls.
- Add 1/4th cup water and mix till it forms into a dough.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- take tennis ball sized dough and flatten on your palm, thickness should be around 1/3rd an inch.
- Heat oil, drop a chunk of dough, if it floats, the oil is ready for frying.
- Once the oil is ready, add 3 to four discs of roat and after 30 seconds lower the flame, turning them in between, after 3-4 minutes put the flame on high again till desirable colour (golden brown) is achieved.
- If you don’t want to deep fry then simply roll out larger discs and slow roast it on a girdle / tawa from both sides.
This snack can be stored in air tight containers for weeks.
Do let me know how you liked my recipe in the comments section.