You need to switch from tooth brush & Paste – Why?
You need to switch from tooth brush& Paste to neem/babool/meswak stick. – Why?
Since, centuries in most cultures across the world people have been using neem stick or meswak stick for brushing teeth. But, due to rise in industrialization in past century people have started using “Tooth Brush” & “Paste”
What makes toothpaste harmful?
One of most key ingredient in toothpaste is “Fluoride” that helps to prevent decay of tooth. But, if the same fluoride is swallowed it becomes a “toxin”. Since, most of us are using toothpaste since childhood we have already swallowed accidentally many time. This accumulation of fluoride over year can be dangerous for life.
Other harmful ingredients that is present in toothpaste:
- Saccharin has been on the on-and-off list of FDA for causing cancer.
- Antimicrobials this when passed in the belly can kill healthy bacteria in gut and result into other complications.
- Abrasives are meant to remove stains, but can be harsh in much toothpaste.
- Chlorine dioxide is industrial bleach, used for bleaching wood, flour, and disinfection of municipal water. This ingredient is sometimes added to toothpaste to fight gum disease.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) is a surfactant and industrial detergent added for foaming and cleaning. Studies report it may cause canker sore, dry mouth and allergies.
- Sodium hydroxide (NaOH), also known as lye or caustic soda, is a metallic base, used in textiles, drain cleaners and industrial detergents. It’s used in toothpaste, even some natural ones, to neutralize the pH of certain ingredients.
- Alcohol in mouthwash can lead to dry mouth. Dry mouth is not a healthy oral environment and may lead to gum disease.
So, due you still want to use toothpaste, I would definitely not.
What makes traditional approach of using neem or meswak stick beneficial?
First reason is that they are naturally occurring and have been tried and trusted for many centuries. Articles published on “US Library of Medicine and Health” clearly states that neem & babool when used against bacteria has shown significant anti-microbial activity and proved to be potent. To know more https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4149135/
Similarly, meswak have also showed there worth in oral health.
Other benefits are as follows:
- Whitens Teeth
- It does not harm your body
- Strengthens your gums
- Keeps foul odour away
- Makes your jaws strong (As chewing over the year trains your jaw muscle)
The benefits will keep coming it’s up to you to decide what is right or wrong !!!
**NOTE : SCIENTIFIC NAME
Neem – Azadirachta indica
Meswak – Salvadora persica
Babool – Vachellia nilotica